If you’re reading this, you know I have a website. You can also find me on YouTube and sometimes on other hobby related sites like Trading Card Database. I spend most of my time on Twitter and if you’re active there and follow me, you get a lot of my opinions on the hobby.
I don’t really like group breaks. I don’t come out and say it, because it’s a relatively unpopular opinion and I just don’t want to get into discourse (arguments) over it. It’s my opinion.
I’ve been in breaks before and it’s just a lottery. To be honest, so is buying boxes of modern product, which I don’t much participate in anymore either.
My point? If you’re getting scammed in a break, I don’t have a lot of sympathy for you. Hell, there’s even a website named Breaker Culture whose main focus is breakers. Sorry, not sorry. In fairness, I have little sympathy for those scammer. I’ve been accused of being smug more than a few times. In more than 30 years in this hobby, I’ve never been scammed.
How have I been so lucky?
I do my homework. Even when I bought into breaks, I didn’t get into one with someone that wasn’t established. I’m willing to pay more for reputation. If you’re just trying to get in as cheaply as possible with some random Facebook (or other place) breaker, best of luck to you.
I saw a tweet earlier today and thought about what I wanted to write for a good part of the day.
In my opinion, there are too many breakers in the hobby. I truly believe that most of them are on the up-and-up. The amount of places you can break means that if you do your research. You shouldn’t get scammed. Select someone with a long, solid reputation.
The list of folks I’ve broken with is pretty small. I had no issues with any of them and would recommend any.
- Exchanger Card Breaks – Indy Card Exchange was my LCS when I lived in Indy. Andy, Jake and the team (at least the ones I know) are great guys and good for the hobby. I’ve been in Texas almost five years and still rave about the guys.
- cloutsnchara – Mostly, or maybe all, hockey.
- Vintage Breaks – I’ve broken with Vintage Breaks once so far, with more to come. If you remember the 1955 Bowman Mickey Mantle pulled at NSCC 2018, these are the guys that pulled it.
There are many others that I wouldn’t hesitate to break with, if I was interested in it. I’m sure I have left off plenty. Apologies to any that I didn’t think of, or just don’t know about.
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT JUST TAKE MY WORD FOR THE SECURITY IN BREAKING WITH ANYONE LISTED. MAKE SURE TO DO YOU HOMEWORK.
I know common sense isn’t as common in our society as it used to be. By having some and using it, you should be safe.
If you like the content I provide, please do me two favors.
- Go to the top of this page and on the right side, enter your email address. I’m not selling anything, it will just send you an email when I post something new.
- Please subscribe to my YouTube page and like any videos that you watch.
Happy collecting, y’all!
If you shop online and haven’t signed up and used ebates yet, you’re missing out on FREE MONEY. I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there. Between referrals and cash back, I’ve gotten over $300 since I joined in October 2016 between purchases and referrals. FREE CARDS!